||Dr. Gopal Ranjan Director General COER, obtained his Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering in 1959, Masters in 1965 and Ph.D in 1970. He joined teaching at University of Roorkee (presently known as IIT Roorkee) and rose to the position of a professor in 1975.|
An educator, researcher, consultant and administrator, Prof. Ranjan has actively participated in several national and international activities in his field of specialization- Geotechnical Engineering. He has guided 18 Ph.Ds and more than 35 Masters' thesis. He is the author of four books widely used by engineering students. He is an active consultant and has rendered technical advice on more than 300 projects.
He retired in June 1998 after putting in about four decades of services at the University of Roorkee (presently named as IIT Roorkee) and then he joined COER as the first Director of College. At present he has taken responsibility of all the academics as Director General.
1. Administration / Organisational / Technical:-
* Chairman, Project Implementation and Monitoring Committee (PIMC)of Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, for Mission Mode Project on "Landslide Hazard Mitigation for Uttaranchal State" (Sept. 2004 to date).
* Director General, College of Engineering Roorkee and Research Centre. Establishing a research centre to pursue research on composites, bioinformatics in addition to the developmentand growth of college. (Sept 2004 to date).
* Chairman, Accreditation Committee of AICTE for accreditation of institution.
* Chairman, Workshop on Resource Assessment and Scope of Entrepreneurship for Sustainable Development in Uttarachal, Sponsored by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, New Delhi (Jan-2006).
* Director, College of Engineering Roorkee, Roorkee, established a new institution to provide bachelor of engineering programmes in five different disciplines with a total of 450 students per year and postgraduate programme (MCA). with 60 students per year with complete residential facilities including dinning for boys and girls. (Oct. 1998 to Aug. 2004).
* Pro-Vice-Chancellor, University of Roorkee (presently known as Indian Institute of Technology), Roorkee looking after the administration at the University level of about 400 faculty members, 1500 non¬teaching staff and about 2500 students (Oct. 1996 to June 1998).
* Vice Chancellor, University of Roorkee (presently known as Indian Institute of Technology) worked as the principal executive and academic officer of the University (May 1996 to Oct. 1996).
* Head, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, (presently known as Indian Institute of Technology) Roorkee administrating the activities of the department related to teaching, research and consultancy, having a sanctioned strength of 87 teaching faculty of Professors, Associate Professors and Assistant Professors and more than 125 other supporting staff (Jan. 1994 to Jan.1997).
* Dean, Research and Industrial Liasion, controlled, coordinated and monitored all the sponsored research and consultancy projects undertaken by the university staff, headed Employment Bureau handling students placement, chaired committees related to all purchases, guided Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC) and Science Technology Entrepreneurship Park (STEP) (July 1992 - Jan.1994).
* Chairman, Second International Conference on Roads and Road Transport Problems (ICORT-95), New Delhi, India.
* Vice-Chairman, Ninth International Conference on Wind Engineering, New Delhi, India, Jan 1995.
* Chairman, National Symposium on Recent Trends in Design of Hydraulic Structures, Roorkee, March 1994.
* Chairman, Second Asia Pacific Symposium on Ferro Cement, Roorkee, March 1994.
* Joint Organising Secretary (General), International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, New Delhi, India, Jan. 1994.
* Vice-Chairman, Workshop on Centrifuge Testing of Soils, New Delhi, April 1993.
* Convenor, National Geotechnical Centrifuge Seminar, New Delhi, April 1989.
* Chairman, Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC-85), 1985.
* Organising Secretary, International Workshop on Soil-Structure Interaction, Roorkee, Nov. 1983.
* Vice Chairman, International Symposium on In-Situ Testing of Soils and Rocks and Performance of Structures, Roorkee, December 1979.
* Secretary, International Forum on Soil Structure Interaction.
* Organising Secretary, International Symposium on Soil-Structure Interaction, Roorkee, January 1977.
* Chief Co-ordinator, MHRD Centre for Appropriate Technology for Development of Hilly Regions.
* Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, June 1988 to June 1998
* Visiting Scientist, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, Jan.1988 to June 1988.
* Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, Nov. 1975 to Dec.1987.
* Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, March 1974 to Nov. 1975.
* Reader of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, June 1965 to March 1974.
* Lecturer of Civil Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, June 1960 to June 1965.
* Lecturer in Civil Engineering, University of Rajasthan, M.B.M. Engineering College, Jodhpur, Aug. 1959 to June 1960.
Planned geotechnical investigations, analysed foundations and slopes for stability, provided design for ground improvement for foundations of structures and rendered technical advice on several projects on national importance some of them being:
* Analysis for stability of slopes and protection measures.
* Design of granular pile system for ground improvement of marine clays, peat etc.
* Analysis and design of foundations of large diameter crude oil storage tanks.
* Assessment of safety and performance of prototype structures - ammonia horton spheres, oil storage tanks, TV tower.
* Geotechnical investigations for industrial structures - cement factories, xerox factory.
* Evaluation of dynamic elastic constants for machine foundations.
* Design and strengthening of machine foundations.
* Analysis and design of foundation under pullout loads for transmission line towers, bridge abutments.
* Special foundations (mobile foundations) for oil drilling rigs.
* Collaborative research work at Concordia University, Montreal, Canada,Jan.1988 to June 1988.
* Collaborative research work at University of Tokyo, Japan, July 1987 - Sept.1987.
* Guided EIGHTEEN Ph.D. theses.
* Guided THIRTY FIVE M.E. dissertations.
* Areas of Research - Granular piles / stone columns, geotextiles, vertical drains for ground treatment, stability of slopes and slope protection, shear characteristics of coarse grained soils, soil ¬structure interaction, machine foundations and influence of industrial pollutants on soils.
5. Proffesional Society Memberships:-
* Honorary Fellow, Indian Geotechnical Society.
* Fellow, Institutions of Civil Engineers (India).
* Fellow, Indian Society of Earthquake Technology.
* Fellow, Indian Society of Desert Technology.
* Member, Indian Society of Technical Education. Member, Indian Roads Congress.
* Member, Indian Society of Rock Mechanics and Tunneling Technology.
* Member, Indian Buildings Congress.
* Technical Papers: Published over ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY technical papers in National and International journals (internationally retrieved) and conferences.
* Professional Reports: Submitted over TWO HUNDRED NINTY technical reports on important geotechnical projects.
* Technical Books - FOUR on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering.
7. Lectures Delivered Abroad:-
Delivered lectures during visits abroad. Some of them being USA - Syracuse University, Polytechnic Institute of New York, Michigan State University, University of Missouri, Rolla, Malaysia - Mara Institute of Technology, University of Malaya, USSR. Patrie Lumumba Peoples Frienship University, Leningrad Institute of Technology, Sri Lanka - International Symposium on Problems and Practices in Foundation Engineering, Moratuwa University, Institute of Engineers (Sri Lanka), Colombo, Thailand - Asian Institute of Technology, Japan University of Tokyo, Singapore - National University of Singapore.